Thursday, March 19, 2009

Empty Nest

If you have been following the saga of my hummingbirds, you will know they are about four weeks old now. The babies learned to fly while we were in South Carolina but they still stick pretty close to our backyard. The two little birds were sitting side by side on a branch but by the time I got my camera, one had moved to another tree. The one in the picture let me get within four feet of it and then it only flew to a higher limb. It appears to be very comfortable around me. Does that mean this little bird has imprinted my image and hence is used to seeing me? Probably pretty far-fetched but they did hatch on my birthday!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

We enjoyed all your hummingbird pictures. It was fun to see them grow.

Unknown said...

I loved looking at your pictures of the hummingbird nest and birds. It reminded me of when we had a red finch nest right outside of our front room window. It was about three feet away from the window and we watched them like you have watched your little hummingbirds. I'm so glad that you have your photo's to remind you

Tanya said...

I've loved your hummingbird pictures. Hopefully I will have some soon too. But we've only seen ours twice so far.